As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I try to avoid wheat flour. This is because I decided to eat according to my blood type which is blood type B and for which wheat is one of the top foods to avoid. On the other hand, spelt flour is one of the few flours which are neutral to my blood type, which is why I went on a search for a perfect, easy-to-make spelt pizza base. I found this recipe, which I thought was perfect, since it does not include yeast, which means no waiting for the dough to rise, which means.. less time that separates you from your delicious pizza.
I adapted the quantities so it makes one medium sized pizza that you can eat by yourself if you are hungry or share with another person if you’re having it more as a snack.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
¼ cup water
½ tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of Himalayan salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. In a bowl combine all above ingredients mixing with your hands until a sticky dough forms.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of spelt flour on your bench and knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until it is soft and no longer sticky.
4. Roll out one medium sized pizza base.
5. Line a baking tras with baking paper and transfer the base onto the paper prior to assembling your pizza topping.
6. Top with you choice of healthy ingredients and bake for about 15 minutes.