I admit, I think about food a lot. So no wonder I was already thinking about what I could make myself for breakfast before I fell asleep. Going through my pantry in my mind, I knew I had some bananas, Greek yogurt and frozen blueberries which would all go really well together. I also knew I didn’t want to use refined sugar and that I wanted to make banana bread. That was enough information for me to start searching for a perfect recipe. I decided to go with this one and it turned out really delicious and moist.
1 1⁄2 cup + 3 tbsp Whole Wheat Spelt Flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup honey
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Ripe Bananas
3⁄4 cups Greek Yogurt
1 cup Blueberries and Raspberries (frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Start by combining flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix pealed bananas and eggs with a hand mixer until the mixture is completely smooth. Add vanilla, honey and Greek yogurt and mix thoroughly.
4. Mix the frozen blueberries and raspberries into the dry ingredients until they are all covered with flour. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
5. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan (21 cm) and distribute evenly. I also suggest you line the loaf pan with baking paper, leaving the excess paper to hang over the sides, which will make removing the bread from the pan a lot easier.
6. Put into the oven and bake for one hour, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. (note that this is a really moist bread and that the toothpick might not be completely clean, at least mine wasn’t)
7. Transfer to a cooling rack and let the bread cool for at least ten minutes before slicing. The longer you manage to not slice it, the easier the slicing will be.